Report a Municipal Market Complaint

The MSRB protects investors, state and local governments and other municipal entities, and the public interest by promoting a fair and efficient municipal securities market. MSRB rules govern the professional conduct of brokers, dealers and municipal securities dealers (collectively, "dealers") and municipal advisors. While the MSRB is the principal regulator of the municipal securities market, other regulatory authorities share responsibility for conducting compliance examinations and enforcement of MSRB rules.

Read about your protections and learn how to file a complaint to the appropriate regulatory authorities in the below brochures. 


Investor Brochure
Read about rule protections when working with a dealer
to buy or sell municipal securities, and how to file a complaint

  Municipal Advisory Client Brochure
Read about rule protections when working with a municipal 
advisor and how to file a complaint

If, after reading the information in the brochures, you are still uncertain of the appropriate regulatory authority to which to direct your complaint, you may submit the complaint to the MSRB to be forwarded to the appropriate regulatory authority. Call or email the MSRB at 202-838-1330 or To expedite the handling of your complaint, please be as specific as possible as to the nature of your complaint, including detail about the individual and/or firm involved. Please provide your contact information including:

  • Name
  • Home, business, and/or cell phone number
  • Email address
  • Mailing address

If a complaint relates to potential wrongdoing by the MSRB, its Board of Directors or staff, click here for information on filing a complaint to an independent, third-party service provider